Automatic Controls

AlbertClemmens
Everything I read suggest that the commands in your book, when used with VB.net are either run before or after a HEC-RAS plan is run. I know you ran HEC-RAS in real time and allowed gates to be controlled (CAP training tool). Did you just run multiple plans, or were the controls run in VBA, or?
Thanks your help would be appreciated.

Re: Automatic Controls

Hi Bert. To do that we set up the RAS model to “pause” every minute. Essentially we were inning one minute simulations while writing a restart file after each run. The next run would then start up where the last one ended and would just change offtake gate settings in between.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 19, 2019, at 3:35 PM, AlbertClemmens [via HEC-RAS Help] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Everything I read suggest that the commands in your book, when used with VB.net are either run before or after a HEC-RAS plan is run. I know you ran HEC-RAS in real time and allowed gates to be controlled (CAP training tool). Did you just run multiple plans, or were the controls run in VBA, or?
Thanks your help would be appreciated.

http://hec-ras-help.1091112.n5.nabble.com/Automatic-Controls-tp7216.html
To start a new topic under HECRAS Controller, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from HECRAS Controller, click here.
NAML

RE: Automatic Controls

AlbertClemmens

Thanks.

Bert Clemmens, PhD, PE,  D.WRE

Senior Hydraulic Engineer

WEST Consultants, Inc.

[...]

http://hec-ras-help.1091112.n5.nabble.com/Automatic-Controls-tp7216p7221.html

To unsubscribe from Automatic Controls, click here.
NAML

RE: Automatic Controls

AlbertClemmens

I am looking into how to do this and have a few questions. Did you create a new restart file each minute, or did you over-write the last one. I’m guessing the former, since RAS creates it’s own restart file name. How many files did you need to rewrite. I’m guessing the plan file that had the start and stop time and the flow file in case you need to change gate positions, turn pumps on and off etc. With the files I have for the project, it’s a little confusing which ones control, since there are multiple files with redundant information, and the extensions don’t always agree with what is in the RAS manual.

We are doing something much simpler than the training tool. I’ve looked through your EDI code and it is really confusing. I’m trying to do this without EDI since I really don’t understand how it works.

It just occurred to me, are you writing a new plan every minute? Or overwriting the plan?

Bert Clemmens, PhD, PE,  D.WRE

Senior Hydraulic Engineer

WEST Consultants, Inc.

NAML

RE: Automatic Controls

AlbertClemmens

Thanks. I do have a few questions

  1. Did you write to the same restart file each time and just overwrite. Or did you send to different restart every minute?
  2. Did you use the same plan each time and just ignore the time in RAS? Or did you run a different plan each minute?
  3. What file or files did you have to rewrite each minute. Just the flow file? How do I recognize it? What is the file name? I’m guessing *.b*

Bert Clemmens, PhD, PE,  D.WRE

Senior Hydraulic Engineer

WEST Consultants, Inc.