Can I use a .tin from microstation and create a terrain in the mapper?

Can I use a .tin from microstation and create a terrain in the mapper?

lkhoury
I have a .tin file that I exported all my cross sections from. I just want to use it as a terrain in the mapper. Also, I have a raster that I tried to use but it keeps switching elevations to metric or something else. My elevations should be in the 600-7-00 range but I'm getting 35-250 range. I made sure the projection is correct but I just cant get it right! here is what I am talking about.

Re: Can I use a .tin from microstation and create a terrain in the mapper?

Lonnie A
You have to convert the tin to a raster prior to importing it into RAS. Not sure on the elevation issue. In the main window of RAS under options it isn't set to metric by chance is it? I don't believe that would be the cause, more likely a issue with the raster/projection.

Re: Can I use a .tin from microstation and create a terrain in the mapper?

Lkhoury
I checked it's not meters. The top is extracted from microstation tin and the bottom is the terrain plot. My guess is the terrain is wrong or when I converted it, it became somehow in meters... I'll see if microstation has a way to convert tin to raster
Thanks

Re: Can I use a .tin from microstation and create a terrain in the mapper?

lkhoury
I figured it out. If anyone encounters the same problem, please let me know and I will be happy to walk you through it.

Re: Can I use a .tin from microstation and create a terrain in the mapper?

Stuart
I was curious your method of converting your .tin into a raster format for HECRAS. I typically convert the .tin to landxml in Microstation. Than in GIS Create a TIN based upon the landxml. From there I'm able to convert to raster. Only issue i have is the grid size for the raster won't let me change it to something with a better resolution. It defaults to a value.

Re: Can I use a .tin from microstation and create a terrain in the mapper?

lkhoury
That's exactly what I did.. I have a good surface on the project I am working with but I will keep an eye on the resolution and will let you know if I find something new. Thanks for sharing

Re: Can I use a .tin from microstation and create a terrain in the mapper?

lkhoury
When you convert from tin to raster using Arc conversion tool, there is a sampling distance (optional) in the conversion window. You can pick the sampling size there. My other guess for a low resolution of raster is that the tin itself has big intervals.
Hope that helps..