Comments on several aspects of the new release

Comments on several aspects of the new release

Guoyuan
Hi, I am attaching my thoughts about the new release. Sorry they are a bit too long. But I do hope they make sense.

1. Model File Selector (all versions):

It would be much more convenient if the “Open Project …” function allows user to directly copy/paste a full path instead of having to click all the way down to the folder where model files located.

2. Function to copy plot to clipboard (v4.1 – 5.0)

This is the function to allow user to copy HEC-RAS plots to MS Word. The function worked great in v3.1 – 4.0. However, since v4.1, the nicely looking grey grid lines in HEC-RAS will become ugly black lines when copy/paste to MS Word. The black grid lines outweigh the data lines thus make this function kind of useless (I would have to go back to v4.0 to copy/paste these plots to MS Word).

3. Additional tools to automate 2D cell editing

I understand there will be a lot more tools to be added to automate 2D cell editing. Just want to point out a tool that would be really nice to have: allow user to define various cell types (i.e., triangle, rectangle, or 5-8 sided cells) within a single 2D flow area based on guiding polylines or polygons, something similar to those found in PCSWMM.

4. Point sources/point sinks in 2D cells

It would be useful if the model allows to define point source inflow or point sink outflow at any specific cell of user’s choice.

5. Lateral Structure connection to 2D cells

It would be nice, if possible, that the Lateral Structure could be just an independent element like a Pump or 2D Flow/Storage Area and also georeferenced (same idea as Lonnie A), so that its Station-Elevation profile could be automatically derived from terrain model just as 2D cells, and that it allows user to define headwater location & tail water location freely (such as allowing connecting to internal cells of 2D Flow areas).

6. Pump connections between 2D cells

It would be practical if the pump could connect between 1D & 2D and between any two 2D cells.

7. Pan function in RAS Mapper

It would be much more convenient if it allows to pan any time by pressing “Shift” key, just as in Geometry Editor.

8. Mapping in RAS Mapper

It would be nice see that 2D Velocity mapping, once added, could map flow direction arrows, with the arrow lengths proportional to velocity magnitude, in addition to color scales.

The animation slider bar is currently specific to its own layer (depth, elevation, velocity etc) and drag to a specific time in one bar does not synchronize time on other bars. It would be convenient if there is also another type of slide bar that could synchronize for all layers to be mapped, so that all the mapped layers would show results for the exactly same time stamp.

9. Storm Drain System

It would be a complete hydraulic model if future HEC-RAS could also integrate storm drain system to seamlessly model channel, floodplain, and stormdrain pipe flow.

Re: Comments on several aspects of the new release

Thanks for the comments.  I'll pass them on the HEC.

Re: Comments on several aspects of the new release

Ramiro Vargas
Hi Chris,

It is possible to change the size of the color scale in the Ras Mapper window? And maybe add a title to that.

Thanks!