DSSVue Problem

Hydrad
I haven't run DSSVue for several weeks and when I tried to run it today it wouldn't run.  I thought that it was just a software conflict on my computer, so I tried it with several other computers in the office and it would not run on any computer we have.  The computers included Windows 7 as well as Windows 10 computers.  We are not having any other software problems on any computer.  I was finally able to get it to run on a Windows 7 virtual machine.

I get the same error if I run it from the icon, or click on a .dss file.  It dies before it can even create a log file.  Since this is happening on all machines, it seems like this might be a conflict with some sort of windows update.

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem, and maybe found a solution.  This is the error message dialog box that I am getting:

Unexpected Close
HEC-DSSVue has closed in an unexpected way.  Would you like to view the log file? [But there is no log file]

Java Returned The Following Error Code:  1

I am pulling my hair out and have a project deadline to meet.  I am pretty savvy with computers, but the fact that this is happening on all our computers (without any other software or hardware problems) has me stumped.  We have Norton and Comodo Firewall on each computer, so I dont think that this is a virus.  One of the computers I tried to run it on was a fresh install of Windows from just last week.  Any help would be appreciated.

Re: DSSVue Problem

Jake G
If you didn't already try it, the HEC website describes a known issue with DSSVue and a workaround:

When HEC-DSS Vue starts, it asks Java to allocate system memory for it to work within. Lately, some virus checkers pushed out an update that limited the memory foot print of programs. On some systems, this change did not allow Java to allocate the requested memory and it failed loading HEC-DSSVue.

To resolve this, HEC-DSSVue can have its maximum memory lowered. It should work fine, unless you have very large datasets. In the install directory, edit the file HEC-DSSVue.config and change

      #:------------------------------------------------------:
      #: Memory parameters :
      #:------------------------------------------------------:
      vmparam -ms64M -mx1000M

      #:------------------------------------------------------:
      #: Memory parameters :
      #:------------------------------------------------------:
      vmparam -ms12M -mx600M

   Save and restart HEC-DSSVue.

RE: DSSVue Problem

Hydrad

Thanks, that worked.  Apparently an update to Norton Antivirus last week killed all JAVA programs that need a lot of memory to run, including DSSVue.  Another reason why everyone should stay away from JAVA, because everybody and their uncle can create modifications to your computer that can change the way JAVA operates, or in this case does not operate.

Tom

Thomas Burke P.E.

Principal

www.hydrologic-systems.com

936B 7th Street

Suite 303

Novato, CA  94945

Ph:   (415) 454-6056

[...]

http://hec-ras-help.1091112.n5.nabble.com/DSSVue-Problem-tp3888p3905.html

To unsubscribe from DSSVue Problem, click here.
NAML

Re: DSSVue Problem

Youssef ARJDAL
thank you very much
i had the same problem and the solution worked perfectly with me runing DSS Vue 2.1 on Win 7 64.