Error creating a new terrain from a tif file

Error creating a new terrain from a tif file

evuj31
hello to everyone ,I am a relatively new user of HEC-RAS 5.0.0 and I hope you can help me with the following problem.
I want to create a new terrain importing a tif file in RAS Mapper.
During step 2 of 4: Rounding and/or Generating Statistics…,  the following error message occurs:
„Error creating Terrain: file does not contain a specified no data value tag.
cleaning files

Re: Error creating a new terrain from a tif file

evuj31
to add another thing is that i can open this file normally with arcmap

Re: Error creating a new terrain from a tif file

Toby
In arc export your Tiff with a no data value of -999 (or your favorite na value).  Should work.

If you use Program R you can use this script too

setwd("my_path")
r<-raster("DEM.tif")
writeRaster(r, filename="DEM_NA.tif", format="GTiff", NAflag=-999, overwrite=TRUE)

Re: Error creating a new terrain from a tif file

evuj31
thanks i will try this

Re: Error creating a new terrain from a tif file

evuj31
thanks to everyone i found the solution :it's to use fill in arcmap found in spatial analyst and then export the filled file

Re: Error creating a new terrain from a tif file

markwood
It's worth noting this 'filled file' likely contains a terrain model that was filled in order to remove sinks. If so, this is a rough hydro-correction to generate a terrain model that allows water to flow downhill to an outlet. And the terrain raster at structure crossings ought to be scrutinized, particularly at culvert crossings.

Re: Error creating a new terrain from a tif file

Apurba Nath
Sir, where i can find Program R windows?

Re: Error creating a new terrain from a tif file

markwood
Information on R can be found here:
https://www.r-project.org/

I believe this link will get you to R Studio:
https://www.rstudio.com/products/rstudio/download3/

Re: Error creating a new terrain from a tif file

Apurba Nath
Sir,i think this link are blocked from our country.sir can you help me any other way how can i solve these problem manually. Actually sir,i will  go for flood modeling by using HECRAS and this is my final year project.so please sir help me.

Re: Error creating a new terrain from a tif file

Diego
Hello, Im using Qgis to generate de raster (geotiff). But I get the same error message (Error creating Terrain: File does not contain a specified no data value tag),  when I try to create the terrain. Any ideas?? thanks!

Re: Error creating a new terrain from a tif file

ShaneR
If using QGIS then in the Translate (Convert format) dialog box you need to select the 'no data' option and assign a value, eg -999, before clicking OK to process conversion.

Re: Error creating a new terrain from a tif file

Ajay
Madad maang raha hai ki bheekh maang raha hai???
Aise to kabhi madad nahin milegi..
THoda khud ka research kar aur specific sawaal pooch.

Re: Error creating a new terrain from a tif file

Mayuresh
Thank you Shane for your comment.

When I tried importing my buildings raster (polygons raised by 0.1m than my average DTM elevations) in HECRAS giving it as a top priority and my DTM as second; though the error has vanished and even I'm able to import it, I still have those 0 (zero) values everywhere other than the buildings which I had expected.

So my question is, is it good to stamp my buildings raster on DTM to generate a new DTM in any GIS tool and then importing it back to HECRAS, or am I missing some process while generating terrain?

Regards.