Error writing geometry; Unable to compute face tables

Error writing geometry; Unable to compute face tables

Ogwski
I have a one dimensional steady state model of a river and I'm trying to run a two dimensional with steady flow simulation of the same river in 2D with the HEC-RAS 5.0. So, I was working with the geometry, and getting used to the RAS Mapper, but when I try to run the 2D simulation I get this error:

Writing Geometry
Computing 2D Flow Area 'BaldEagleCr' tables: Property tables do not exist.
Error completing geometry for computations:
Unable to compute face tables: The terrain associated with this geometry does not completely cover the 2D Flow Area. See face #0

error

Does anyone knows what does it mean?

I did associate the terrain layer with a geometry file like the manual said I should, but the same error persisted, then I tried to run one of the exemples (Bald Eagle) to see if I was missed something, but nothing.

Thank you!

Re: Error writing geometry; Unable to compute face tables

Vince Moody
A quick pedantic note: 2D simulations are inherently unsteady. You can use a constant inflow hydrograph, but review Chapter 6 of the 2D Modeling manual for additional discussion.

Within RAS Mapper, does your 2D Mesh line up with your Terrain (i.e. same projection)?
Within RAS Mapper, if you right click the 2D Area layer under your geometry and select "Compute 2D Area Hydraulic Tables", what happens?

Re: Error writing geometry; Unable to compute face tables

The error states that your terrain file does not cover the 2D boundary.  Is your terrain file larger than the 2D boundary extent?

Re: Error writing geometry; Unable to compute face tables

Ogwski
Hi, thank you Vince and Cameron.

Q: Within RAS Mapper, does your 2D Mesh line up with your Terrain (i.e. same projection)?
A:  So far everything tells me that yes. Even on the Bald Eagle example I get this error.

Q: Within RAS Mapper, if you right click the 2D Area layer under your geometry and select "Compute 2D Area Hydraulic Tables", what happens?
A: I get this warning:

I guess I have a problem with my projection like you said. I'll work trying to solve this now!

Q: The error states that your terrain file does not cover the 2D boundary.  Is your terrain file larger than the 2D boundary extent?
A: I don't know how to answer this because even with the Bald Eagle example I get this error, are the demos are purposely defective?

Re: Error writing geometry; Unable to compute face tables

Paul
I had the same error but found that there was a missing patch in my ground model within the 2D area. It was quite a small area but stopped the geometry info process at the start of the run.

Re: Error writing geometry; Unable to compute face tables

Ogwski
Hi Paul,

I forgot to update the topic; but the problem was exactly what you described.

Thank you!

Re: Error writing geometry; Unable to compute face tables

Talia
Hi

In case someone faces the same problem in future, I solved my problem by editing the 2D area by making sure that its boundary is not close to the edges of the terrain.

Re: Error writing geometry; Unable to compute face tables

dais davy
we are facing  what to do next?? pleasee help

Re: Error writing geometry; Unable to compute face tables

dais davy
Error completing geometry for computations: unable to compute face tables. the terrain associated with this geometry does not completely cover the 2D flow area 'mesh'

this is our error. please help us, we are having an important presentation tommarow. pleade help us

Re: Error writing geometry; Unable to compute face tables

Ogwski
Hello,

please check if your grid is "smaller" then your terrain. Your computational grid must be all inside of your Terrain data. Please, check cameron and Talia's answer. I solved this problem using their methodology.

If your problem is different from this, I can't help you.

Re: Error writing geometry; Unable to compute face tables

dais davy
face table error is occured only on certain coloured parts(yellow and pink in terrain)
how to slove thosee