HEC-RAS Doesn't Recognize Valid Projection File

HEC-RAS Doesn't Recognize Valid Projection File

Andy
When trying to load a projection file (NAD 1983 HARN Wisconsin CRS Oneida (US Feet)) into RAS Mapper I receive the following error message:

Error - unable to make a projection with specified file. Make sure the file is a valid ESRI projection (*.prj) file.

This projection file is straight from my ArcMap Coordinate Systems directory (and was used to create/modify my DEM file).

Is there a modification I can make to my *.prj file so that HEC-RAS will recognize it? I'd rather not resort to projecting my DEM (and other data) to a different projection due to this issue.

HEC-RAS Version 5.0.3.

Thanks,

Andy

Re: HEC-RAS Doesn't Recognize Valid Projection File

Andy
After a bit of research I'm finding that all projections with the "Lambert_Conformal_Conic" projection type are not recognized by HEC-RAS.

While this is useful to know, I'm still interested if there is any workaround that would allow me to use this projection as opposed to projecting all my data to something else.

Re: HEC-RAS Doesn't Recognize Valid Projection File

Rufusraider
I have found that RASMapper does not recognize ESRI projection files when creating shape files in ArcGIS 10.2.  ESRI projection files from ArcGIS 9 work fine.  I have downloaded the ESRI projection files from SpatialReference.org that I have needed.  I then copy the spatial reference file I need to the RAS folder and use it in RASMapper.

Re: HEC-RAS Doesn't Recognize Valid Projection File

Andy
Thank you, I will try this work-around and see if it works.

Re: HEC-RAS Doesn't Recognize Valid Projection File

IJustWantItToWorkHowItsSupposedTo!
Any solutions for when HEC RAs refuses to recognize .prj files downloaded directly from SpatialReference.org?

I am trying to use either File 3395 or WGS84 Web Mercator EPSG 3857. When I download the PRJ files to my computer and then try to use in RAS Mapper I get the exact same error message as OP.

Stuff like this makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes.

Thanks!