Importing GeoTIFF Terrain into RAS Mapper from Civil 3d

Importing GeoTIFF Terrain into RAS Mapper from Civil 3d

Mason Lacy
Hi - I am attempting to import a GeoTIFF file (*.tif) into RAS mapper (HEC-RAS 5.0.1). The GeoTIFF file was created from a surface in Civil 3D using the "Export to DEM" and selecting GeoTIFF. If I follow the instructions in the 2D modeling users manual and set a spatial reference projection, it will not begin the import. If I do not set a spatial reference projection, RAS Mapper uses the spatial reference projection from the GeoTIFF file, and the import begins. When the import gets to Step 2 of 4 an error stops the import "Error creating Terrain: Index was outside the bounds of the array." See below. Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Computation Task                                                                 |   hh:mm:ss
Importing 1 of 1: EG.tif
Step 1 of 4: Translating to GeoTiff without SRS...                               |          5
Step 2 of 4: Rounding and/or Generating Statistics...
Error creating Terrain: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
Cleaning up files...

Re: Importing GeoTIFF Terrain into RAS Mapper from Civil 3d

Mikell Warms
Hi Mason--

I can think of 2 possible problems:

1) Have you tried opening up a brand new RAS project, setting the spatial projection in ras mapper, then importing the geotiff as a terrain? Sometimes I have found that if the terrain has a much larger extent than the model, I will get the "index out of bounds" error.

2) Have you tried loading the DEM into a GIS program? If you don't have ArcGIS, then maybe try QGIS. It could be possible that the civil 3d export did not create a perfectly functional geotiff. I would test it in an GIS to see if it is working properly.

Thanks,
-Mikell

Re: Importing GeoTIFF Terrain into RAS Mapper from Civil 3d

Andy Carter
Mason and Mikell:

I am responding to this several months later, but I wanted to put my two cents in from my experience.  A geotiff from Civil3D does not read into the RAS Mapper.  I don't know if this is a binary header error or what.  I use SAGA to import the raster via [Import/Export - GDAL/OGR..... GDAL: Import Raster]  then I export via the GDAL: Export Raster.  This whitewashes the raster from Civil3D to a standard GDAL format.  Then I have no more issues.

Re: Importing GeoTIFF Terrain into RAS Mapper from Civil 3d

I had the same issue. I solved it by opening up the .tif in GIS. Once I opened it in GIS I got an error saying there was no coordinate system assigned. I manually assigned the coordinate system and then tried to import as terrain again.. and it worked! So double check to make sure there is actually a coordinate system assigned in GIS.
KT

Re: Importing GeoTIFF Terrain into RAS Mapper from Civil 3d

KT
I had the same issue today, but mine turned out to be an issue of different projection files (the default state-plane projection from ArcGIS was slightly different than the one used in the overall RAS Mapper, which came from Civil3D).  Once I assigned the RAS Mapper projection to the .tif in GIS I was able to import and create my terrain.