Maximum number of 2D cells

Martin
Hi i tried create relativly big model with lots of 2D cell, but my project crashed. Is there some limitation of maximum number of 2D cell? Or it it dependes of my hardware cunfiguration? If yes what is the most
important parameters? Amount of ram memory? Thank you.

Re: Maximum number of 2D cells

jarvus
My understanding is that there is currently a maximum limit of around a million cells.

Re: Maximum number of 2D cells

Chris Gifford-Miears
Is your 'around a million' cell limit based on experience or a known programming limitation? Triangulating a mesh with ~2.2 million cells is feasible in the geometry editor but a memory exception is thrown during the 'Compute 2D Flow Areas Hydraulic Tables' command. Definitely not a hardware limitation (128GB DDR4 RAM) but I'm curious if this limitation will persist or if others have found a work-around for larger models. Any hints or clarification would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Chris

Re: Maximum number of 2D cells

cameron
It is a software issue. I think the limitation will persist unless HEC updates the program to handle more data.

The idea behind how HEC-RAS deals with the geometry is supposed to allow for bigger cells that give the same results as smaller. Which should mean that you should not need 2 million elements.  Depending on what you are trying to accomplish this can be true, but for very detailed models this does not always workout.