Modelling sudden or gradual stop of a hydropower plant in a canal or river

JEM

Modelling sudden or gradual stop of a hydropower plant in a canal or river

JEM
I want to model the the wave/waterlevel changes in an upstream canal of a hydropower station if the station suddenly stops. I would like the model to begin upstream and end downstream the power plant. I need to find a way to represent the turbines or the head loss as water moves through the power station downstream. I intend to have gates placed upstream of the turbines. I havent yet studied the gate options to see if i can close them at a given time in the model to simulate the sudden or gradual stop. Can somehow who may have modelled pumps and turbines in HEC-RAS help with a strategy. Sorry that i have asked at the beginning of my assignment. I may be able to work something out as I work but i thought it best to gain an insight in order to save time.