Sluice Gate with tidal forcing function - reverse direction flow

Sluice Gate with tidal forcing function - reverse direction flow

Beth
  I have a sluice gate controlling flow in and out of a basin that is tidally influenced.  I have the tide elevations as the downstream boundary condition with only a small place holder flow at the upstream end to simulate dry weather conditions (tidal flushing) in the basin.  When I model just the culvert, the flow goes in and out of the basin with the downstream head forcing positive and negative flow values.  When I put the sluice gate on the culvert, flood flows are not allowed to pass in the "Upstream" direction.  Is there any way to simulate a sluice gate that allows bi-directional flow?  I'm thinking the weir equation doesn't work when the tail water is higher than the head water elevation.  I was thinking of making the invert artificially low  = to the bay side invert of the culvert.  Thanks for any advice I can get.