XS cutting in geometric data editor

Luigi V.
Hi, this is my first comment.
In the 5.0 version it seems there are all the potentialities and the instruments to draw Cross Section Lines directly in the Geometric Data Editor, and then cut them from the terrain model.
Is there a way to do this? If not, I think it would be a great improvement, to avoid passing through ArcGIS or QGIS.
Thank you

Re: XS cutting in geometric data editor

Jarvus
In the cross section editor, there is a "Cut from Terrain" button.  Is this what you were looking for?

Re: XS cutting in geometric data editor

ingegner.luigi.villani

No, I was looking for the possibility to draw, cut and manage georeferenced XS in the geometric data editor for the calculus.

Re: XS cutting in geometric data editor

Kyle Moynihan
You can draw the cross section that you would like to add to a stream by following the steps below.

1. Use measure tool to draw section as you like.
2. Copy the X,Y coordinates from the Measure line window.
3. Open Cross section window.
4. Options>Add A New Cross Section
5. Add cross section station value based on your river alignment.
6. Add dummy station elevation data in Cross Section.
7. Go to GIS Tools>XS Cut Lines Table
8. Select the cut line you just created and paste in the X,Y coordinates from Step 2.
9. Cross section will jump to the shape and location that you want.
10. If terrain information is available you can now just your Cross Section from it.

Re: XS cutting in geometric data editor

pinkpig
How to work with cut from terrain within cross section window? more details? I could not find it from the users manual.

Re: XS cutting in geometric data editor

lkhoury
I agree. That's how I do it.

Re: XS cutting in geometric data editor

lkhoury
Once you have your cross section georeferenced, you can got o cross section data editor and check the box "plot terrain". You will be able to see the terrain then if are satisfied with it, you can do cut from terrain which is the button next to plot. See the image for more info Cross section editor

Re: XS cutting in geometric data editor

Lee A
Everytime I utilize a topobathymetric  GeoTIFF from USGS Earth Explorer, its elevation data is in meters. The rasmapper projection file accurately converts the planar coordinate info to Feet, but there's no equivalent for the vertical datum. Anyone know how to get the terrain elevation data in units of Feet?

Re: XS cutting in geometric data editor

cameron
You could use QGIS or ArcGIS to convert. Just multiply the raster by 3.281.  In the next version of HEC-RAS there will be an option to convert the vertical to a different datum/unit when importing it in.